Fax: (941) 955-0800
3076 17th Street
Sarasota, FL 34234
M - F 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sat 9:00am - 2:00pm
ABC’s of Back to School Health
Getting ready for the new school year can be a stressful time for parents and students alike. Grades, athletics, and extracurriculars can begin to add up fast, but you shouldn’t let them weigh you or your child down. Follow these tips to reduce stress and help your child create habits that will help them easily navigate their educational experience:
• Remind your child to always use both shoulder straps on their backpack. Slinging a backpack over one shoulder can strain muscles. Help them choose a backpack with wide, padded shoulder straps and a padded back.
• Encourage a healthier diet- 40% of two – 18 year olds diets consist of empty calories from added sugars and fats. Continue to introduce new foods and be a role model so your child learns how to fuel their body properly
• Bullying is common, but only 17% of children seek help after being bullied. Watch your child for changes in behavior, academic problems, anxiety, depression, and self harm.
• Make sleep a priority. Establish a sleep ritual and put away electronics an hour before bedtime. Most healthy children need 8 – 10 hours of sleep per night.
• Listen and engage in conversation with your child. Ask them about their likes and dislikes, strengths and struggles, and other topics they want to share.
If you have any questions about how to improve you and your child’s health during the school year, call or stop by our pharmacy!
Hablamos Español Falamos Português